An earthquake of magnitude 7.1 struck off the coast of Governor Generoso, Davao Oriental early Thursday morning, PHIVOLCS reported.
Earlier, PHIVOLCS reported that the epicenter was off the coast of Mati City, also in Davao Oriental, with a 7.3 magnitude.
The quake, which occurred at 1:46 a.m., was at a depth of 39 kilometers and tectonic in origin.
The earthquake was felt in the following areas:
- Intensity V – Governor Generoso, City of Mati, Baganga, and Lupon, Davao Oriental; City of Tagum, City of Panabo, Carmen, and Nabunturan, Davao del Norte; General Santos City; Alabel, and Malungon, Sarangani.
- Intensity IV – City of Davao; Kiblawan, Davao del Sur; City of Koronadal, Tampakan, Tupi, and Polomolok, South Cotabato; Glan, Malapatan, and Kiamba,
- Sarangani; Monkayo, Davao de Oro
- Intensity III – Kabacan, Cotabato; Bayugan, Agusan del Sur
- Intensity II – Cagayan de Oro City; Maasim, Sarangani; Arakan and Banisilan, Cotabato
- Intensity I – Mambajao, Camiguin Island
PHILVOCS also reported that damage to infrastructure is expected as well as aftershocks
“No destructive tsunami threat exists based on available data,” he agency posted.