Metro Manila, Philippines — Authorities are ramping up security for the June 30 oath-taking of President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. to be held at the National Museum grounds.
Speaking to CNN Philippines’ The Source on Monday, PNP Director for Operations Major General Val de Leon said more than 6,000 of their personnel were initially set to be deployed, but they intend to increase the number on Thursday.
“Initially, we have accounted 6,768 personnel but we intend to increase this based on information that we received,” he said. “There is a civil disturbance management that will be positioned in areas where militant groups might want to stage a rally. We do not allow this especially if there are no opermits.”
The National Capital Region Police Office previously said over 15,000 personnel from the Philippine National Police, the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine Coast Guard, Bureau of Fire Protection, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority, military personnel and other force multipliers were assigned to guard the inauguration.
De Leon added that they have also formed a multi-agency coordination center in charge of the main preparations for the event. Road closures in parts of Manila will also be implemented to insure an orderly ceremony.
“We also implemented a gun ban which is three days before the inauguration day and two days after,” De Leon said.
“These are all part of the preparations, we will ensure the safety and orderly conduct of the oath-taking of President-elect Bongbong Marcos,” he said.
He also stressed that rallyists may only stay in “freedom parks” such as Plaza Miranda, Plaza Dilao, Plaza Moriones, and Liwasang Bonifacio during the event. Protests without permits will not be allowed.
Those who want to take part in the ceremony in person are encouraged to bring plastic pouches or bags so authorities can easily screen their belongings.
Meanwhile, both the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals announced work would be suspended on June 29 and 30 to give way to the inauguration. The announcements said the decision was made in light of the traffic advisories issued for Manila which would make travel difficult for employees.